21 Main Street, North Berwick 03906
(207) 676-2234 msad60-info@msad60.org

Minutes of October 27, 2016

MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING on October 27, 2016

A regular meeting of the Board of Directors was held at the Noble High School in North Berwick, Maine on October 27, 2016 at 7:00pm, with all members present except Mr. Smith.

Public Input

None at this time

Ms. Wheeler made the motion and it was seconded by Ms. Olean to approve the minutes of October 13, 2016. All members voted in favor except Mr. Cowan and Ms. Manly, who abstained, and the motion passed.

Mr. Dustin Price shared Kaitlyn Price’s student report:

Class president debates were held Tuesday during Knight Time.

Voting ballots were sent to student emails and must be completed by noon this Friday.

Sober friends movie night this Friday has been cancelled, and they hope to reschedule for the spring.

Freshman have their second BARR(building assets, reducing risks) meeting tomorrow during kt with their mentors.

The Assistant Superintendent then shared with the board the monthly Budget Report. With 75 % of the school year remaining, we are currently appropriately on track with our spending. There were no questions from the board at this time.

Ms. Wheeler, Mr. Cowan and Mr. Price were the board member representatives for our budget subcommittee and Ms. Wheeler shared an overview of the revised process with the board. In January, administrators will videotape a budget presentation to be shared with the board and posted on the district website. We also will allow the administrators to add some positive highlights of the year in their presentations.  Hard copies and electronic versions of the cost center budgets and narratives will be distributed to board members at this time.  Cost center budgets should be as complete as possible, noting any significant changes from last year’s budget (new programming, changes in staffing, etc.).  We will provide a consistent budget format for each cost center budget.

By early February, we will have a first draft of the budget and at the first meeting in February, Steve will present the first full draft of the budget and will take questions. The admin will be present to answer any questions as necessary. A new budget document to show the budget for each cost center as it relates to each budget article (1-11) will accompany the first draft, in addition to the “decision sheet”.

We will travel to each of the towns to do budget presentations throughout the months of February and March. The goal would be to meet every two weeks rather than every week. We will see if that’s possible. Potentially that we may visit each school in December and January to have a tour and site visit.

We will provide the board with a binder of the whole budget one week before the presentation by the Superintendent. We will provide a “change sheet” at each subsequent board meeting and we will walk the board through the changes in the draft. The board can highlight/note the changes in their current draft of the budget.  Subsequent full budget drafts will be produced at the request of the board.  At the end of it all, we will share a FINAL draft.

Central Office administration will work this coming week to develop the schedule (working backwards from the budget vote date) and share with the board. The schedule will include a description of the process, to be completed for the Nov. 10th meeting.

Mr. Price noted that it was a pleasure to work with Mr. Cowan and Ms. Wheeler on this committee and felt there was positive momentum.

The Assistant Superintendent then shared with the board required training videos that need to be viewed regarding Affirmative Action and Freedom of Access. She emailed them the information and a link to the viewing.

The board then reviewed several policies as first readings;

Policies for First Reading

   IHD (nr)- Adult/Community Education

   IJJ(r)- Instructional and Library Materials Selection

   IJJ-E(r)- Citizen’s Challenge of Educational Media Form

   JFC(r) – Dropout Prevention Student Withdrawal from School

   JICH (r) – Student Substance Abuse

   JICH-R (nr) Student Substance Abuse Administrative Procedure

There was brief discussion and the board then considered these to be the first readings. They will be reviewed in depth at the next meeting, Nov. 10th.

Mr. Price made the motion and it was seconded by Ms. Wheeler to table the second readings of the following policies:

   GCQC (nr) –Resignation of Staff

    IHBAD (nr)-Personnel Development

    IHBAE (nr) –Parent Involvement

    IHBAL (r) – Grievance Procedure for Persons with Disabilities

     IHBG (r) – Homeschooling  

     IKF (r)- Graduation Requirement

until Nov. 10th due to not having had the full review at the last policy subcommittee meeting.  There will be several policies for second readings on Nov. 10th but board members were comfortable with this. All members voted in favor and the motion passed.

The board then held a discussion regarding policy GCFB Recruiting and Hiring of Administrative Staff. There seems to be some discrepancies between past practice and current practice and the board wants to clean that language up so that the policy is clear and that it follows practices similar to our surrounding districts. The subcommittee will work on that and bring it back to the full board on November 10th as well. The word of the day for all of us is CLARITY! (Thank you Mr. Price)

Ms. Olean made the motion and it was seconded by Mr.Price to add the discussion of the Dropout Prevention Committee to the agenda.   All members voted in favor and the motion passed. The board then discussed the development of the Dropout Prevention Committee and Ms. Olean reviewed the makeup of the committee via the policy.  It was shared that a board member is required to be on the committee and Ms. Wheeler shared her interest. Ms. Potter made the motion and it was seconded by Mr. Price to nominate Ms.Wheeler to serve as the board representative on the Dropout Prevention Committee. All members voted in favor except Ms. Wheeler, who abstained, and the motion passed.

Other Business:

Ms. Potter wanted to publicly thank the Adult Education Director for holding classes in Lebanon again. People are really pleased with the quality and the convenience.

The board briefly discussed the sports topics community forum that is being designed at this time. The Assistant Superintendent will ask for some clarification on what is being said to set up this meeting and invite participants.

Mr. Price shared with the board that he had referred Mr. Ledue to a grant regarding a clean diesel rebate program. Mr. Ledue completed and submitted the grant request and we are awaiting a response. Potential for the award was $115,000.

Ms. Wheeler noted that she was unsure if the school district was being fully informed in a timely manner regarding the ongoing Berwick town water issue. She noted that she believed the maintenance director was taking it upon himself to seek out  information, but was curious as to whether the town was providing information as necessary.

Ms. Potter  made the motion and it was seconded by Ms. Wheeler  to adjourn.  All members voted in favor and the motion passed

Adjourned at 7:53 pm.

Respectfully Submitted,

Susan Austin

Assistant Superintendent